Tuesday, September 4, 2007

More traffic in Laramie today than I have ever seen

I have not done a good job of using this space to write about life in Wyoming. As I contemplate my future and consider moving out of Laramie, a distinct possibility next summer, I regret that. One of the things I love about this town is that I can get anywhere on my bike in about 5 minutes. Usually I barely even have to slow down for intersections because there aren't that many people moving around. Multiple times I have walked down the center of my street on my way home from campus or the movie theater (4 blocks away). (The center of the street usually doesn't have the broken sidewalks, the hanging-over plants, or the sprinkler spray.) So today was a little unusual. There was tons of traffic coming down 3rd street today. It is the busiest street in town but often you can cross without waiting for the light to turn. Part of the increased traffic is simply that students are back in town and I had gotten used to walking around town all summer for jubilee days, etc. While it is nice to have the buzz of town and fall and football season again, I guess I miss strolling around without a care.

[I don't mean to undercut my point, that Laramie was far busier today than usual, but I do want to point out, as part of life in wyoming, that this means there were about 6 blocks of traffic. It is still far preferable to the miles of traffic jams I'm used to in southern California.]