Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Lauren's view of Thailand

Sawasdee from Thailand!
It feels like a year since I last wrote which is proof of the culture shock.
I never liked the study of western civ in school, but am coming to appreciate
it much more after many bug bites, trips to "the hole" without toilet paper,
and bus rides that take twice as long as they should.
We spent 3 days in bangkok with lots of rain and wats. The locals played the
red box game with us (warner-ites, you know what I mean) by sending us on one
goose chase after another in search of the standing buddha.  I enjoyed
the "frenetic" city much more than I expected, and look forward to a few more
stops there later in my trip.
On our way up to Chiang Mai, we stopped in a town called Sukothai which had
great old ruins and a large city wall surrounding them.  We rented bikes for
20 Baht (less than a dollar) for the whole day and toured around.  Releif
from the heat comes as we move farther north.  We are now in Chaing Mai,
which is a great city.  I had my first Thai massage yesterday for just about
5 dollars an hour.  I can definitely get used to that.  Tomorrow we head out
for a three day trek through the hill tribes.  We've heard it's just amazing
and can't wait to see the elephants, the people, the waterfalls, and the
greenery.
I wanted to send pictures, but have heard from several that they got viruses
from the public computers, so I think I'll wait until I can find a computer
that is less suspect.  We've met tons of great people and the locals are
extremely friendly.
Please update me on the happenings of your lives...even the little things
will remind me of home...toilet paper, anyone?
Love to you all,
~Lauren ;-)