Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Thai visa policies (...and airport security ... and does it work this way to enter the US too?)

Once I called my airline (Cathay Pacific, which I'm excited about) and asked about visa requirements for visiting Thailand. After looking at his computer the agent responded that US passport holders do not need a visa. Plain and simple, I thanked him and hung up.
In Berkeley, I'm reading my cousin's Lonely Planet and it says that you must have a tourist Visa to stay longer than 30 days. Holy shit, I think to myself, we're planning on being there for 6 weeks. I called the Thai consulate in Chicago (there isn't one in SF). They can process Visas very quickly, in person. He recommended that I fly to Chicago for it to be processed (it's wednesday and I leave next monday night). I can't do that. What if I went to Laos for a week in the middle of my trip? That would work, he thought, as long as I had something to show the airline representative. The airline representative? Wait, where is this policy enforced? By Customs? By the Airline? Here or in Thailand? The answer: my eligibility to board the flight will be determined by the airline agent when I check-in my luggage. I find this answer shocking and I wonder if airline representatives verify visa status for entry to the US. ... So back to the question about a reservation in Laos...it sounds like a good idea. I called Cathay Pacific again to ask about Visa stuff and to ask about plans to Laos in the middle of my trip. As long as I have something to show the agent I'll probably be allowed to get on the plane, they said. Basically, with enforcement responsibility left in the hands of the airline (i.e. the profit making entity) it appears that the airline does not want to upset their passengers. I figure that most agents don't ask at all about visa status and those that do will let you on the plane as long as you have some document that they could use as an excuse...."but he had a reservation in Laos..." Now, we are genuinely considering going to Laos but how stupid to have to make a reservation just to get on the plane.
(And, how infuriating that my airline did not properly inform me of this requirement. When I complained to the agent today, she said that it is the passenger's responsibility to know the rules. I would agree IF the airline were not the enforcing body. As long as the airline is the enforcing body they should highlight this requirement. It's also just sad that their agent told me, point blank, you don't need a visa to visit Thailand. If I had explained the details of the situation, he probably would have gotten it right, but he should have asked for those details before answering the question.)