Saturday, November 10, 2007

From Lauren [Diving Thailand]

[Hello one and all,
     Hope this finds you well and safe...enjoying the cooler weather and ash free
air.  Mom and I are back from our four day dive trip, which was amazing!  I am
still swaying, but enjoyed every minute of it from the 5 meals a day to the 11
dives where we saw hundreds of kinds of fish, squid, octopus, anemones,
seahorses, crabs, and lobsters (I even had a CLOSE encounter with a leopard
shark...didn't see him until he brushed my shoulder).  We didn't see any of
the famed whale sharks or manta rays, though:-(  Before the dive trip, we
spent three days in Khao Lak, which was one of the places most affected by the
tsunami.  It has bounced back incredibly well and some think it's doing even
better now.  I spent Halloween at a local bar where the "lady boys" had far
better costumes than any of the locals could muster up.  It was a great show.
      We will continue south tomorrow to Krabi area and Ko Phi Phi.  After that my
plans are open.  My friend Tonia (who many of you have met or heard of) has
landed the job of a lifetime at ABC in New York City, so she will not be
joining me for the second half of my trip as planned.  SE Asia anyone?  If you
have any time over the holidays, I would love to have a travel partner!  Really.
      We continue to love things that remind us of home...Jack Johnson plays all
over the place here, Oreos are always at the top of the shopping list, and
we've even found western toilets at many of the places we stay.
      Keep me posted on you!  I love hearing about all your vacations and plans for
the upcoming holidays!
Love,
~Lauren ;-)]