Wednesday, November 14, 2007

From Lauren in Malaysia

[

Helo from Malaysia!
I haven't forgotten how to spell, the Malays are just kind enough to have a
very similar greeting to our own...making my life a little easier.  I've
traveled from Thailand to Malaysia, traded tuk tuks for trishaws and panang
curry for Pulau Penang, the city where I'm currently staying.  It's a very
modern city, the second largest in Malaysia, yet still very quaint and
colonial.  I had no expectations for this country since it wasn't on my
itinerary until about a week ago and have been very impressed so far with
it's charm.  The people are quite different than Thai's, in appearance as
well as characteristics.  There is much more Chinese influence here and
there is a very large Indian population as well, both of which have added
variety to my diet...much appreciated.
I'm making the plans up as I go, but think that from here I'll travel to
Indonesia for a bit and then around and back up to Malaysian Borneo and
Brunei.  From there I'll catch up with my original plan to see Laos, Vietnam
and Cambodia before spending a few more weeks in Thailand at the end of the
year.  If anyone has any places to recommend as I head south, I would love
to hear.  Diving is supposed to be amazing, so I've got some recommendations
for that, but as far as the rest, I'm kind of in the dark...Lonely Planet
will be guiding the way.
Think about you all a lot and love all the updates on life at home. I've
posted a few more pics from Southern Thailand if you'd like to see:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19331&l=cf87b&id=592800063
Loves,
 
~Lauren ;-)
]