Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Kanchanaburi (Erawan waterfall) to Sangkhlaburi

Today Bet and I went to the Erawan National Park outside of Kanchanaburi. The park was established to preserve the Erawan waterfall - a spectacular waterfall of many tiers (small falls) over the course of about half a mile. I kept taking pictures because around each bend the sight was even more beautiful than before. The water was very clean which surprised me because many of the falls Lauren and I saw while trekking were composed of brown (dirt, not pollution) water. The bedrock under the falls is limestone and the erosion/dissolution of the limestone gives everything a very light greenish hue. It was incredible. The hike itself was beautiful and following the falls was unbelievable. I liked the park well enough that I'm pretty confident I'm coming back after Bet and I part ways in a few days. I've been strongly thinking of staying in SE Asia for longer - I'd like to see Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam - and I'm already here so the time is right. Tomorrow Bet and I leave Kanchanburi for Sangkhlaburi (north west toward the Burmese border) where we will stay for 3 nights. After that we're supposed to head back to Bangkok for two nights before getting on the plane. I think I'll stay just for one night (this will be with Mike's (Julianna's Mike) mom) before coming back to the Erawan National Park. Then...who knows.
Take care.